Roasted Pork Shoulder with Rigatoni
Serves 4 – 6
1 boneless pork shoulder, about 4 lb (1.8 kg), tied
1/4 cup (60 ml) Italissima Extra Virgin olive oil
4 cups (1 litre) chicken broth
6 onions, coarsely chopped
6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 bottle (12 oz/341 ml) pale ale
1 lb (454 g) Preferisco rigatoni
3/4 lb (340 g) trimmed green beans, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces and blanched
1/2 cup (35 g) grated Italissima Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup (25 g) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
- In a skillet, brown the meat in 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Degrease the skillet, then deglaze with 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the broth. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large ovenproof pan or Dutch oven over medium heat, soften the onions and garlic in the remaining oil (3 tbsp/45 ml) for about 10 minutes. Continue cooking over high heat for a few minutes, stirring frequently until well caramelized. Deglaze with the beer. Return the meat to the pan and add the remaining broth (3 1/2 cups/875 ml). Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake for about 4 hours or until the meat is fork-tender. Turn the meat once or twice during cooking. Carefully remove the meat from the sauce and keep warm. Remove the string.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until it is done but slightly firmer than al dente. Drain.
- Add the pasta and green beans to the sauce and continue cooking until the pasta is al dente and has soaked up some of the sauce and the beans are warmed through.
- Add the Parmesan and parsley. Mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the meat in the centre of the pan.
1465 Kootenay Street Vancouver, BC V5K 4Y3 604.253.5578
Commercial Drive Location
Victoria Drive Location